Darrin’s passion is giving back to the great community he lives in. Besides co-chairing the 2018 International Plowing Match, Darrin is the past Chair of Mainstreet Credit Union, past Chair of Entegrus Inc., past co-chair of the United Way Campaign, past Director of the CKHA and past Chair of the Prosperity Roundtable. Darrin was first elected to Council in 2014 and served for one term as Councillor for Ward 6 before being elected Mayor in 2018. His goal is to empower all citizens and encourages them to get involved with their community.
Full podcast can be listened to here or on your favourite platform!.
The first part begins with you, as we introduce you as the guest
- Who are you? What is your day job (if not a full time politician)? Why did you run for council? What drives you?
- Who are your people? If you represent a ward/whole community what does it look like (urban, suburban, rural)? Who are your constituents – what do they do for a living, what are the issues you see in your inbox or talking to people week in and out.
- Describe your municipality as a whole. CK is unique as it is a single tier municipality. Paint a picture for someone who has not been to your town or community before or has only seen it as a sign on the side of a road. What is working, and what is not, what are you building towards? .
- How do the communities within Chatham Kent see themselves? How do you balance the different needs and priorities?
- Finally, how does your community and constituents fit into SW Ontario as a whole? Why should someone in Kitchener or London (as examples) care about your community? What should a Torontonian know about your community and why it is important?
The second half of the show is a bit more political/policy related. We may not get to all of these topics and this might not be the order we discuss them in.
- COVID Impacts on Chatham-Kent? In the Community?
- Budget Impacts? Projects delayed? Services Reviews?
- What would we be talking about if COVID didn’t happen?
- Housing Prices – They are spiking across Ontario. How is it impacting CK?
- Affordable Housing/Homelessness – Additional pressure due to higher housing prices?
- Erosion on Lake Erie shore – Shore line study
- Thoughts on the Provincial Budget? Was there anything you were looking for?
- Where do you want Chatham-Kent to be in 10 years? Challenges/Opportunities to get there
- Magic policy wand – change one thing, what do you change and why?