Aina DeViet, was elected Mayor of Middlesex Centre in 2018 having served on Council since 2010 and County Council since 2016. In 2018, Aina was also elected to the Board of the Association of Municipalities of Ontario (AMO) and appointed as a County representative to the Board of Health (currently MLHU Vice-Chair, and Finance and Facilities and Governance Committee member). AMO appointed Aina as their representative to the LAS (AMO Business Services) Board, a not-for-profit corporation created to enhance municipal capacity through operational improvements in 2020. At a municipal level, Aina sits on the Lake Huron Water and Ilderton Medical Boards.
Facebook — Aina DeViet, Mayor of Middlesex Centre
Twitter — @AinaDeViet
To frame the conversation below are some topic areas.The first half of the show is standardized (more or less) with each guest talking through these themes.
- The first part begins with you, as we introduce you as the guest. Who are you? What is/was your day job (if not a full time politician)? Why did you run for council? What drives you? How do you engage the community?
- Who are your people? If you represent a ward/whole community what does it look like (urban, suburban, rural)? Who are your constituents – what do they do for a living, what are the issues you see in your inbox or talking to people week in and out.
- Describe your municipality as a whole. Paint a picture for someone who has not been to your town or community before or has only seen it as a sign on the side of a road. What is working, and what is not, what are you building towards? .
- What is your region, what is in common/different between your community and your neighbourhood? Most municipalities are a part of some upper tier government, how does your community fit into that upper tier?
- Finally, how does your community and constituents fit into SW Ontario as a whole? Why should someone in Kitchener or London (as examples) care about your community? What should a Torontonian know about your community and why it is important?
The second half of the show is a bit more political/policy related. We may not get to all of these topics and this might not be the order we discuss them in.
- COVID Impacts on Middlesex Centre?
- What would be talking about if COVID didn’t happen?
- Female elected officials coming together forming a woman’s caucus
- You also have one of the few gender balanced councils in the region.
- The relationship with London?
- London growing out, Middlesex Centre growing.
- 50% of your employed population work in London (if you search Middlesex Centre in the drop down you can find
- Rural Broadband – SWIFT investment?
- Provincial Budget is March 24th, anything you saw or caught your eye?
- Where do you want Middlesex Centre to be in 10 years? What are the Challenges/Opportunities
- Magic policy wand – change one thing, what do you change and why?