Nathan is a director/owner of Storyboard Solutions, Refined Fool Brewing Company (author note: really good beer), Burger Rebellion and Cafe Mexico and city councillor for the City of Sarnia.
Hold for full episode
To frame the conversation below are some topic areas. The first half of the show is standardized (more or less) with each guest talking through these themes.
- The first part begins with you, as we introduce you as the guest. Who are you? What is your day job (if not a full time politician)? How do you engage the community? Why did you run for council? What drives you?
- Who are your people? If you represent a ward/whole community what does it look like (urban, suburban, rural)? Who are your constituents – what do they do for a living, what are the issues you see in your inbox or talking to people week in and out.
- Describe your municipality as a whole. Paint a picture for someone who has not been to your town or community before or has only seen it as a sign on the side of a road. What is working, and what is not, what are you building towards? .
- What is your region, what is in common/different between your community and your neighbourhood? Most municipalities are a part of some upper tier government, how does your community fit into that upper tier?
- Finally, how does your community and constituents fit into SW Ontario as a whole? Why should someone in Kitchener or London (as examples) care about your community? What should a Torontonian know about your community and why it is important?
The second half of the show is a bit more political/policy related. We may not get to all of these topics and this might not be the order we discuss them in.
- COVID Impacts on Sarnia?
- What would be talking about if COVID didn’t happen?
- Chemical Valley in the era of climate change – Climate adaptation plan that is in the works?
- Economic diversification is it in the cards?
- Housing affordability – Affordable Housing Project Scrapped
- Local Reconciliation – Aamjiwnaang First Nation
- Airport status – selling it off?
- Where do you want Sarnia to be in 10 or 20 years? Challenges/Opportunities
- Magic policy wand – change one thing, what do you change and why?
City of Sarnia